As any CRM user might already know, a robust customer relationship management system helps with contact organization and marketing personalization. However, the best CRM systems have integrated automation capabilities that leverage your captured data, grow sales, and save time.
Automations don’t need to be anything more than simple processes you build that automate repeat tasks and optimize your manual lead follow-up. A 2020 Keap Customer Survey found that Keap automations saved customers an average of 10 hours a week—a pretty nice trade-off for a few minutes spent setting it up.
Together, CRM and automation create sustainable growth and greater customer satisfaction while freeing up time to make the big decisions that will take your business to the next level. Best of all, it’s all straightforward and quick to build.
5 CRM Automation Examples You Can Build Right Now
Below, you’ll find some CRM automation examples you can develop and implement quickly and efficiently to get your growth machine started.
1. Tagging and segmenting
Did you know? Marketing personalization is now a customer expectation, with two-thirds of customers expecting companies to understand what they need and want. Luckily, a simple CRM automation solution can ensure customer correspondence is personalized, even when done by the smallest businesses.
As new contacts enter your CRM, set automations to tag them with whatever criteria you choose, such as “newsletter subscriber”, “interested in consulting”, or “expo lead”. Tagging allows you to easily search and segment your contact list. Now you’re set to create relevant, targeted, and personalized sales and marketing campaigns.
- When a new contact submits a form
- Tag as a “New Lead”
- From there, “New Leads” can be efficiently targeted to custom campaigns, messaging, and more
A good CRM will allow you to make tags based on demographic data, time zone, household income, favorite products, and anything else you can think of.
2. Follow-up messaging
Here’s a CRM automation example to increase your customer response time. When someone contacts you through a form, you can follow up automatically with an email or text. You can also send over an appointment scheduling link that syncs to your calendar so you can set up appointments with new leads even while you sleep. Your customers can see your availability and choose the meeting time that works best for them.
- When a client purchases a product or service.
- Then a follow-up email (or text message) is sent.
- Messaging can be sent instantly or with a delay.
- Follow-ups can be singular or be part of a longer nurture strategy.
- Below you will see a campaign with a follow-up message followed by a thank you gift notification.
3. Appointment reminders
Even after automating the appointment scheduling process, there is still more that you can automate through your CRM. A CRM with integrated scheduling and text messaging like Keap allows you to send automated appointment reminders. By having it all in one place, your CRM instantly updates contact information, calendars, and communication history.
- When an appointment is scheduled
- Then a reminder notification is scheduled 1 week before the appointment.
- A second reminder is scheduled (just in case) 24-hours before the appointment.
- Dynamic fields like [[appointment.date]] embed custom details into your messages, like the appointment date.
- Set these reminders at multiple approaching intervals (e.g., weeks, days, hours).
Fewer missed connections mean more leads converting to clients and better response rates.
Choose a platform that lets you send travel directions, agenda details, rescheduling links and more. This allows you to stay top of mind with your leads and improve their experience with your business.
4. Merge fields and personalization
Using merge fields in concert with a CRM lets you create templates and automations that make procedural messaging feel hand-typed to customers. Less work, better content, and greater sales. It’s another WIN-WIN-WIN for the tag team of CRM and automation.
This allows you to use CRM data on your clients for a more tailored experience.
- When a lead submits a form
- Then an email is sent
- This email uses a simple template and a few embedded merge fields to create the appearance of manual communication. These example merge fields are shown in bold in the email below.
Here’s what the email template looks like in action:
Thank you for reaching out! I'd like to learn more about [[contact.company.name]] and your needs. Feel free to schedule a 30-minute chat using the link below during a time that works best for you.
[Link] Schedule 30 minute call.
5. Review and referral requests
Online reviews have an immense power to influence potential buyers, with 92% of people saying they are more likely to buy after reading a positive review. However, asking for reviews can be a timely process that’s better left to CRM automation.
Send an automated email asking customers to share their experience with your product or service. Here’s a CRM automation example from Keap. As a rule of thumb, ensure you give customers enough time to enjoy your product before you reach out to them.
- When a purchase is made
- Then a delay is set (give them time to use your product)
- And a message with a polite request for a review or referral is sent
- Include direct links to your review sites (don’t make them work)
- Include example reviews (ideally positive ones)
People often intend to leave a good review, but life gets in the way. A kind reminder is a great way to boost reviews and referrals, which boosts recurring sales.
What Did We Learn?
Using a CRM to keep your data organized optimizes sales and marketing results by targeting specific contact segments and personalizing your messaging and automation. When you target campaigns and personalize your messaging, you’ve set yourself up for consistent and repeatable growth.
Keap’s automations are easy to build and require zero onboarding while growing your sales and saving time. By combining your automations with the power of Keap’s CRM data, you can target and personalize your content. Get the very best results out of every single message and campaign. Start your free trial with the premiere CRM-driven automation platform for entrepreneurs.